June 17, 2007

Inihaw

1 kilo tadiang, sliced, salted and peppered
vinegar
garlic, minced
steamed rice
charcoal

Over hot charcoal, grill the the pork tadiang until done. Serve dipped in vinegar with garlic and a mouthful of rice. Delicious.

Daddy always liked to cook. My memories of Kamias are many yet one that stands out are the days when he would cook the pork over the tiny hibachi grill we had on the washout. He would sit on an overturned metal Magnolia ice cream bucket and make paypay the charcoal with a piece of cardboard to keep it going. Understand that the charcoal did not have such modern amenities as pre-soaked or in briquets. They were merely pieces of burned wood. In the mean time, the rice would be cooking. When the pork was done, we would sit down either at the table with the benches in the kitchen or have a picnic in the side yard, eating over banana leaves with our fingers. It was a feast!
Today, my parents live in Rochester, NY and have for many years. Daddy continues to love to cook. I look forward to the meals he will prepare for us when we come for a visit in a week. I know that I can always rely on having a good meal when he cooks. Thanks, Dad. I love you.
Happy Father's Day.

2 Comments:

Blogger pulang-gubat said...

Dear Charissa:

Thank you for the memories... we thrive on memories, specially those like the one you just mentioned. Yes, when you wrote that I could smell the wonderful aroma of the barbecued "tadiang" and the scent of crushed garlic swimming in native vinegar.. and when you continued with the description of the banana leaves and the hot rice, we (mommy and I) were again transported to that era when all of you were growing up. Charissa, we cannot forget that picture of you at that Maryknoll program where you asked me to play the guitar before that crowd which I did not know was so huge, and with so many celebrities participating with their pieces.. you stood there beside me while I played... that picture is engraved in my memory.. thank you for those beautiful words.. we love you... your love touches not only our hearts, but all the rest of the family.. God bless you.

Love, Daddy and Mommy

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oo nga.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home