February 25, 2007

French Bread

2 packages active dry yeast
21/2 c warm water (105-115 degrees F)
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp butter, melted
7 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c cornmeal
1 egg white
1 Tbsp cold water

Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed bowl. Add salt butter and flour. Mix then knead until well blended. Dough will be sticky. Place in a greased bowl turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk. (1hour)
Punch dough down and divide in half. Roll each half into 12 x 15 rectangle. Roll dough tightly tapering the ends. Place in greased baking sheets that have been dusted with cornmeal. Cover and let rise again until doubled. (1 hour)
Make 4 diagonal cuts on top of each loaf and bake at 450 degrees for 25 minutes. Make an egg wash and brush each loaf with mixture for an additional 5 minutes. Let cool on wire racks.


The weather outside has been frightful. We've had rain, freezing rain, sleet, snow , ice, lightning and thunder all in one day. It continues on a smaller scale today. I believe I am on my way to being severely depressed brought on by the extreme cold from a week ago, then THIS! What blocks this depression is the anticipation on a trip to Paris with Chesca. I have bookmarked the hotel we are staying in and even if I've seen it before, looking at the site makes me happy. I also have bookmarked to website of the Parisian transportation system to familiarize myself with it. By my bedside are my birthday gifts from Steve. Eyewitness Book Paris and a small English-French dictionary. I will survive this winter after all. By the time April rolls around, it will be Paris and spring.


2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

S'il vous plait, mademoiselle, do remember, I am THE French Connection, Ms European Languages, major in French (kissing) and minor in German (---).In case you need my linguistic expertise, I am just a phone call away...n'est ce-pas?

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want upliftment from oncoming depression, pls check out http:www//thesoftspotspeaks.blogspot.com

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home