June 15, 2007

Churros

1 cup flour
1 cup boiling water
pinch salt

Mix together. Put mixture in the star shape of a cookie press.
Fry in oil until golden brown. Then roll in sugar. Serve immediately.

After a long absence, I am back. School ended for me a week ago this time. We were sent home early because of a tornado threat. Yes, a tornado threat. It was boiling hot in my classroom and most of the day, I was just gathering odds and ends and storing them away, hoping that I will remember where I put them come August. I was thankful that the days prior to the end of the school year, I had balanced shutting down my classroom with the help of my students and continuing to conduct lessons. Two days before school ended, I gave my students two spelling tests and had a division math lesson with them. While other classes were showing movies and having parties, yes, I was having regular classes. As a matter of fact, on the last day of school, after our mini celebration, my students were reading poetry out loud to increase their fluency in reading.
Honestly, my students reminded me about the spelling tests and the unfinished math lesson. Who am I to discourage more classroom learning? I gave myself a pat on the back for that. I am proud of the fact that I had instilled in my students the focus and drive to continue learning.
Of course, realistically, once they walked out the school doors as third graders and played all summer long, I'm sure the last thing on their minds was school. Yet, I remain hopeful that they will retain something that I had taught them.
Why churros? I think I learned to cook churros as a third grader. Auntie Lin showed me how and I remember it to this day. There is hope.

2 Comments:

Blogger exskindiver said...

sadistic teacher, great cook,
loving sister.
(is what your tombstone will read)

3:36 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Enjoy your break...you deserve it!

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home